top of page

Which survey do I need?

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) refers to Surveys as being "a kind of 'health check' for buildings" (RICS, 2015). 

Since buying your home is likely to be the most expensive purchase you will ever make, it makes sense to do some research before you commit to it. 

Choosing the right Survey.

At Leney Building Surveying Ltd, we offer two types of Home Survey: The RICS Home Survey Level 2 Report (with or without a Market Valuation) and a Building Survey (with or without a Market Valuation).


Specific risks associated with the property will be highlighted with both the RICS Home Survey Level 2 (formerly RICS HomeBuyer Report) and the Building Survey. I usually recommend a Building Survey rather than a Home Survey Level 2 Report for properties that are older, significantly extended, are in poor condition or that are of non-standard construction (e.g. Cornish Units).


Remember, a valuation is not a survey and the valuation carried out by your mortgage lender is for their benefit not yours. It does not provide sufficient information about the house, its construction or future maintenance to inform a property purchase.

The RICS has produced some useful guides (see below) to help you when buying a property.

bottom of page